- 16 ounces macaroni
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni, cook for 8 – 9 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed large pot over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Sprinkle the flour, white pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper over the melted butter, whisking until smooth.
- Stir in the milk ½ cup at a time ( feel free to eyeball it ), only adding the next half cup once the previous one has been incorporated entirely.
- Add all of the medium cheddar cheese and half of the extra sharp cheddar cheese, stir into the milk/flour sauce until melted. Stir in the macaroni.
- Pour into a 2 quart baking dish. Top with the remaining extra sharp cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 375 F for 30 minutes.