- 4 Bananas
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 whole egg
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks (save the whites for meringue)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 45-50 vanilla wafers
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
Preheat oven to 400-degrees. Grease 13″ x 9″ casserole dish.
- Add the sugar, flour, salt, one whole egg, and milk to a saucepan. Mix together well.
- Add the four egg yolks and mix well.
- Cook over medium-low heat until thickened, stirring frequently. The sauce takes about 10-15 minutes to thicken.
- Once the sauce is done cooking, add the vanilla and stir.
- Line the bottom and sides of a casserole dish with vanilla wafers.
- Slice two bananas over the vanilla wafers, just before the pudding is done, so they do not brown.
- Pour half of the pudding over the wafers and bananas.
- Slice two more bananas over the pudding.
- Pour the remainder of the pudding over the bananas.
- In a large bowl, whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Add the sugar and mix until blended.
- Spread over the pudding mixture and bake for 8-10 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- Let cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.